Thursday 27 September 2012

Library Book Bag

A while back I decided to make a bag that my daughter could take with her to the library.  This bag would need to hold the books that we would take home as well as a place for her library card.  I had previously used this pattern to make a similar bag for my daughter's friend.  I used this pattern again to make the bag for my daughter but rather then put an apple applique on the front, I used various fabrics to write "Books".  The letters were made using interfacing and were stitched onto the front pocket using a blanket stitch on my sewing machine.   I used an accenting colour to each letter for the thread.  


The fabric that I chose for the letters is from various children's classics.  The Lorax, Winnie the Pooh, Richard Scarey, Berenstain Bears and Arthur.


On the strap, similar to the Mo Bedell pattern, I included a small pocket, with an elastic closure to hold her library card.  


Overall, I was really happy how this bag turned out.  The canvas exterior makes it sturdy enough to fill with books.  The pattern is really easy to follow, and the bag looks really good when it's finished.  I love how polished the french seams are inside the bag.  The lining of the front pocket allows you to put any applique that you want.

2 comments:

  1. I love the different letters, very cute! The pocket is a nice touch and makes it easy to never forget the card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your tutorial. I am helping my 8 year old granddaughter with her 4-H project and this is it! Glad to find it.

    ReplyDelete